Thursday, February 9, 2012

The rising generation.

A while back I had a super annoying clerk at Walmart. If you go to the Centennial one, he's tall, chubby, red hair, in his late teens, and talks way too much.

Red-headed duffus: So, how old are you? Like 15?
Me: Uh, no.
RHD: You're really short, no really how old are you?
Me: Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I've been married 5 years, you do the math for the youngest I could be. Then, add a little more.
RHD: So, like 21?
Me: No.
RHD: I've seen you in here before, and I always wanted to ask if she (Scarlett) was your little sister or something.
Me: Nope. She's my daughter. And I usually get asked if she's adopted, not my sister.
RHD: WHAT?!?! Why?
Me: .....Because....I'm Asian......and she's....white.
RHD: What does that have to do with anything?!
*At this point I was wishing I had either chosen a different line or gotten fewer groceries.
Me: Well, usually Asian-looking people have...Asian-looking babies.
RHD: So?? I don't get it. That is so ridiculous! [blabs on and on and on]
Me: K, bye!

I really wanted to let it roll off my shoulders...his stupidity really bugged me. I figured to do that I wouldn't blog about it.

Until last night.

It was late, just got done with mutual, I would rather go home, but we needed milk and a few other necessities...like brownies...and reese's pieces...

I get in the quick lane (which was oober long). Get half way through and realize who the checker was. *Dun dun duunnnn!* I went through my options: 1) Get in another lane even longer than this with people who's carts were overflowing, 2) Ditch my cart and call it quits, or 3) Hope he doesn't remember me. I mistakenly went with option 3.

RHD: I think you've been through my line before.
Me: I grocery shop pretty often. It wouldn't be a surprise.
RHD: Yeah, you look just as short as before.

The End.




7 comments:

Marisha said...

Bhahaha this post made me laugh alot, thank you! It's been a rough day. :) I like your little white kid ;)

Jordan & Heather Wong said...

Hahahahaha I can't stop laughing! People are so mean! I was asked at the airport if I was old enough to e kherringtons guardian I started laughing and said well I'm her mom and left it at that haha

Teresa said...

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I had to show id the other day to buy super glue. I guess the 4 kids I had following me weren't enough proof of my age!

Francesca said...

I feel your pain. Since when does height signify age? I wish intelligence signified age; then that guy would be 5 years old.

Jamie said...

Ha ha...what a moron. Here I am 32and still get that. I guess when I'm walking around with a kid who's almost as tall as me, people get confused. I guess you could kind of take his stupidity as a compliment...you look young...so you'll look young in 20 years too! And people always thought I was adopted too! HA HA!

Crystal said...

I bet you won't make that mistake twice!

Little Megs said...

People are so stupid. Ugh, and you KNOW I can sympathize with the short comments.

Some dumb guy in my ward: "Hey!"
Me (irritated that he interrupted my conversation): "What?"
dumb guy: "You're short"
Me: "and you have glasses, big ones." turn around

And why does everyone have to say that EVERYTHING is "almost as tall as you are?" Hey, that hockey back is as big as you are. My 12 year old is as tall as you are. That BABY is almost as big as you are. Really people?! Get a grip.

And I'm with Francesca, since when does age signify height?

Grrr. What I'm trying to say is...I feel your pain.