August Michael Humpherys
8 lbs. 20 in.
Exact same size as Scarlett, in case you were wondering
Exact same size as Scarlett, in case you were wondering
...and looking at their baby pictures, they have the same face too.
August just has darker hair, and a lot more of it.
I was induced at midnight, June 29th using cervidil. I will never do that again. I started having contractions after about an hour, and they weren't bearable by about 6 or 7 am, which meant no sleep AND I was only dilated to 3 cm. Lame.
I got my epidural and was started on pitocin 2-3 hours later. With Scarlett, getting the epidural was great, but it only worked on my left side. With August, they had to try 3 times to get that sucker in and I felt it every time...then, it only worked on my right side...and I didn't regain feeling in my right leg for another 8 hours.
At 3:30pm I was dilated to a 6. I was expecting at least another 2 hours of Desperate Housewives watching since it took so long to get to that measly 6. I called the nurse at 3:45 saying the pressure was pretty intense. I was an 8, the doctor was called. I don't really remember what happened time-wise after this. The contractions leading up to his birth were killer...the anesthesiologist came in at some point to ask me if I needed a boost, which might prolong my labor. The nurse said the baby could be out in minutes. "Like 15 minutes?" "Yes!" "No boost. Just GET HIM OUT!" August was out and screaming at 4:31pm.
August got a mini wipe down, swaddled up, and then, everyone was gone! A few nurses rushed in wearing masks and gloves, grabbed equipment left and right, and rushed back out. We didn't find out until later there was an emergency C-Section...and then two 10 lb. babies born 30 minutes apart (all different ladies, of course). The time to ourselves was actually quite nice.
Scarlett got to meet "Baby". (She won't call him August unless we ask what "Baby's" name is). The morning after we had August, Scarlett wouldn't even eat breakfast. She had to see "her baby". Plastic dolls just weren't cutting it any more.
Nothing has changed since then. She still wakes up every morning and wants to see "Baby". "Baby see, Baby see! Hold?"
Scarlett put on August's hospital hat and thought he might need a baby to play with.
That's us in a nutshell. Minus the hemorrhaging that went down on the 4th. It looked like I had murdered someone in my bathroom...and in the ER room. The look on the hospital housekeeping lady when she walked in the door was priceless. I think she was expecting a spilled soda or something...like the one she cleaned up after my dad in the waiting room. So much "stuff" came out, it splattered on the wall...and the lady had to ask for more mop heads...with an "s". TMI? Yeah, I know. I also had no pants on going to the ER. Just a towel. Between my legs. And another half wrapped to try to save some of my dignity. Lovely.
Everything is somewhat normalizing now, if you can do such a thing when you have a new born and 2 year old who's trying to potty train herself while refusing to take naps.
I can't complain though. Life is good (but better with sleep).


6 comments:
Congrats Julie and Mike! August is so cute! Glad to hear things are starting to settle down for you, especially after such and explosive 4 of July! Say hi Mike for us!
Congratulations! Sounds like you have had quite the eventful time! August is a cutie!
Oh my goodness! Scarlett looks SO huge and grown up next to little baby boy!
i didn't know you had him- congrats!! he is a doll- and i love the name august. it's so funny how similar their birth pictures are then that salt/pepper one, their skintones are so different but that's prob just the jaundice. congrats! i don't know how you do 2 babies so you'll have to let me know. hope you get some sleep
Hi Julie, I didn't hear about the 4th incident. Hope you are better now. Any idea why it occurred? I think then that he was born on June 30th? That is cool because Jamie's little guy was too, on my mom's birthday. Congratulations on your new little one. I hope you get lots and lots of rest. He looks more like you than Scarlett does. Kind of how Tyson is Jamie's clone and the other's are Jake's clones. We will see how things develop over time! Happy to know you are OK.
Love Auntie S
He was born on the 29th.
Post a Comment