Monday, January 19, 2009

Cape Meares

On Saturday Michael and I decided to go down to the coast since we live so close now. It was windy and cold in Portland, but on the beach it was SO NICE! 60 degrees...mmhmm. Actually we've had some record winds here in the city that have really started to cause some problems-- power outages, fallen trees blocking roads, fallen trees on houses, etc--but that is beside the point.

First stop on the journey. The octopus tree. Eight arms, no joke, all coming from one trunk. Kind of weird for a spruce.


The octopus tree overlooked this beautiful cliffy beach scenery. The life of a tree must be pretty nice.
Cape Meares lighthouse. One of two of a kind in the world. The other one is in Hawaii.
We took a hike from Cape Meares to the beach. I seriously thought we were walking through Ferngully! Trees had fallen and other stuff started to grow on'em, like moss, other trees, plants that I don't know the names of, and these neato fungus dudes (like on Ferngully)...
Cute mini waterfall.
This is how far we got from the beach after hiking for quite a bit and decided to go back to the top and just drive to the beach.
We got to the beach.
We had a contest of who could stick a stick in the sand the farthest out without getting drenched by the waves. Both participants were slightly biased, so a winner was not chosen.
Poking beached jelly fish with a stick.
Goobs.
The end.

3 comments:

Jordan & Heather Wong said...

u guys are so cute together!! julie i freaking miss u when is the next time ull be in vegas?

Haley and Jon said...

I love the beach! Its so nice to be close to the beach and the mountains. I am glad it was nice when you went. Seeing your pictures makes me want to head out there.

Lee and Valerie Gunther said...

Wow, I love these pictures. Where is this at exactly? We have visted Seaside twice, and loved it. I think we need to expand our horizons though and visit a new beach! Cute Blog. :)