So, I wander the aisles, get what I need in a not-so-timely manner, and mosey my way on over to the check out. The height deprived, portly man in front of me puts the divider behind his things and smiles. I smile back, because that's what you do. It's called manners. I hate people who look past you like they are completely oblivious to your presence. Sorry...tangent.So, I am in line and this guy is jabbering to the cashier all about pretty ladies this and pretty ladies that. The cashier looks at me like, "Is this guy serious? WEIRDO." as everyone tries to ignore the situation in a normal fashion, but only manages to look very awkward. Needless to say, the cashier was happy to move on to the next customer.
Since you have to bag your own groceries, you usually end up bagging yours next to the person in front of you (food goes through cashier to 2 conveyor belts). As I am meticulously bagging away, the portly man finishes, turns to me and says, "This isn't anything personal," drooooooools, "but do you shop at Fred Meyer?"
"No."
I didn't hear a single word after that. Something about getting 10 of something for $10. I was too focused on what I should be doing--do I call him out on drooling or act like it didn't happen. I definitely ignored the social faux pas. Apparently, so did he. Gross. I feel bad for whoever uses the plastic bags at WinCo, because they totally have height deprived portly man slobber on them. Ewwww.
4 comments:
Wow that is super special! You definitely get some weirdos shopping with you at Winco. Wait 'til you have a little kid then everybody thinks they can just talk to you! Bens has a special talent of getting the big black women to smile and laugh and therefore talk to us.
Yeah, you're definitely shopping in the ghetto! When we were little, my mom used to shop at a grocery store like that, because it was cheaper. It is nice to bag your own groceries (I'm a freak about it too), but the set-back is (when you think about it), that grocery store is too cheap to hire baggers a $5.65 an hour :)Ha ha!
I LOVE your visual aids (pics)! You are one great story teller! But I am so sorry that happened to you...awkward! I guess Winco and Fred Meyer are out. Looks like you'll have to start shopping at Safeway- and asking to bag your own groceries :)
I agree, you are a great story teller. Should I be worried or excited that you haven't blogged for so long? (Yes, I'm checking faithfully). Good luck with the grocery line - it really is one of the most frustrating places on the earth.
Post a Comment