
So, I have decided on a lot of things I want to do now, every week, every month, every month for a year, blah blah blah. I realize it's not the beginning of the year, which makes it an even better time to make new goals.
Anyway. One of my new goals is to read more books. GOOD books. Ones that click their heals...like so...

No, my friend, not Harry Potter. (The cane is my favorite part!)

I am almost done with the Twilight series (not my fault I read them). I also read The Host out of boredom, and to my surprise it was actually pretty good. Read DaVinci Code, half way through Angels and Demons....
I really liked Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close--wouldn't recommend it for really "modest" people (I don't know how else to explain it, guess it has what people might deem inappropriate...). But it would probably would go on my favorites list...
I don't know...does anyone know of some good, more obscure, written-preferably-in-the-first-person, possibly classic books? I guess all I am asking is what is your all time favorite?
9 comments:
This summer I'm reading all the stuff my son will be reading for American Lit next year. Partly because I didn't bother to read it in HS, partly because I want to be able to discuss it with him. So far I finished Jane Eyre (LOVED IT) The Jungle and I'm almost done with Lord of the Flies and Grapes of Wrath. I'm loving 'the classics'!
I need more info than that to suggest something good! What genre are you looking for? Do you like young adult books or only grown-up books? What are some authors you like?
You'll love "How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby". Very informative! Ha ha ha!
Francesca--I am open...I just want to know what you like!
Jamie--lol!
Julie--that's a great goal. Brian and I have taken to listening classics on CD--it makes the harder parts easier to get through. Plus, they're free from the library and you can pop them in while you drive. Anyway, we have enjoyed: Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (fantasy), Hound of Rowan by Henry Neff (fantasty), 13th Reality by James Dashner (fantasy), Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas (classic), Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas (classic), A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (classic), Dracula by Bram Stoker (classic). These are just a few...Happy Reading!
I don't know that I have an all-time favorite book, but I've been reading lots more the last few months and can tell you what I've enjoyed. I don't know that any of them are considered classics (except for The Count of Monte Cristo, which was good but VERY long!), but they've been fun reads.
--The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
--Book of a Thousand Days (Shannon Hale)
--I've enjoyed all of Shannon Hale's other books (including The Goose Girl and sequels, Princess Academy, and Austenland, which is a fun chick-lit book especially if you've read Pride & Prejudice)
--The Thief (and sequels The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner) - the first book was the slowest to me but had a great ending and the other two kept getting better
-- Poison Study (and sequels Magic Study and Fire study, by Maria V. Snyder)
--The Giver (Lois Lowry) -- also has two sort-of sequels (Gathering Blue and Messenger)
--A couple of fun YA fantasy series that I've also read are Fablehaven (by Brandon Mull) and Percy Jackson and the Olympians (by Rick Riordan, first book is called The Lightning Thief).
--Another YA series is The Underland Chronicles (by Suzanne Collins, first book is Gregor the Overlander)
--And finally, right now I'm in the middle of reading Three Cups of Tea (Greg Mortenson), which is a true story and so far very good!
That's probably way more ideas than you wanted! You should sign up on Goodreads (my sister told me about it) -- you can see what books your friends are reading and whether they liked them or not.
Glad you asked. I've enjoyed seeing what other people wrote because I love to read. Some of my all time favorites are The Secret Life of Bees, Life of Pi, The Giver (listed above, I think) and 1984. Also, the Uglies series and The Eragon series are fun, and I really liked Khaled Hosseini's books (the Kite Runner and Thousand Setting Suns - they're really intense, though). My sister hates my choice in books, though, so you'll have to let me know if you like any of these.
Hi Julie,
I'm here at Jerry & Deanne's house waiting for the fishing trip to happen so I thought I'd check out the family blogs...So I'm going to copy Marianne with Secret Life of Bees but I REALLY also liked The Host (much better than the Twilight series). But that's just my taste. I'm currently reading The Life of Pi from Marianne's request. The DaVinci Code was good and Angels and Demons was also good (a bit gory for my taste though). Let me know about any other good ones you come across.
I'm going to have to try some of the books that were mentioned above--it's always nice to get other people's recommendations. A few books that I have enjoyed (which might not mean much) is The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel (and sequels) and also Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
Post a Comment