Thursday, March 17, 2011

my not so little project.

I've been drooling lately over some quiet books I've seen on super crafty ladies' blogs. I get to looking and thinking, "Oh, I can do that!" It's kind of a problem. My Craft List of Things to Do is a million miles long (yes, it's a real list--my list making problem is for a whole nother post...and yes, "nother" is a real word).

I saw a color book on Etsy and thought it would be a super easy peasy project I could do in a couple of days--kind of as a prep for my upcoming quiet book marathon. Scraps, felt, ribbon, and hot glue...what could go wrong?

Nothing went horribly wrong, except that I have the sewing machine from hell. No, really. It's possessed. I tried to sew a couple inches and it kept binding up on the bottom. 

I take the bobbin out.

I put the bobbin in.

I rethread.

I sew.

It binds.

Repeat...about 20 times. Mixed in with turning some knobs.

I threaten to kick it's %^&*( to the curb. It works.

Anywho. I finished. I don't know how long it actually took me with having to clean up my mess every time Scarlett decided to wake up early from her nap. I think I collectively spent half the time cleaning up and taking out and the other half trying to get that possessed junk to sew.


Isn't it beautiful?

Just take a moment and bask in it's beauty...



Okay. That's enough basking for one day.

The velcro flowers are stored in the cover and baby matches it to the right page. So clever, right?

I have a feeling I won't be showing you my finished quiet book until sometime next year by the rate this project went. Just know I will be cursing my sewing machine all along the way.

10 comments:

Lindsay Hamilton MS said...

Julie,

I LOVE this little book! What a fabulous idea! I am sorry that it was such a pain but well worth it. :)Keep it up lady.

Lindsay Hamilton

p.s. if you ever feel like making another one i'll pay you. ha! I won't hold my breath.

Jordan & Heather Wong said...

i freaking love this book! my mom wants u to make me one and shani one and she will pay you....hahaha julie i want ur creativity can u please come move by me so i can try to pretend to be like you!?

Kinsey said...

Are you floppin' kidding me?!? I wish I had an eighth of your ridiculously mad creative skills. Soon you will have reduced me to being the mom who has to scour etsy shops for adorable things and take credit for making them...thanks a lot Julie.

But seriously, Uh.maze.ing!

Daniel and Chelsea said...

This is awesome! I like the velcro idea of getting the baby to match it. Oh, and on the post before this one... you should just get the carseat!!

Sarah Dana said...

So so cute! Love it. Ha-so were you already planning on the quiet book or did I get to you? I hope to begin mid April if you want on board or just to swap ideas:^D

Jamie Zollinger said...

That is so flippin' cute!!

Teresa said...

Very cute!! I love the bright colors. Just to make you feel better, I still haven't finished the quiet book I started when Ethan was a baby....9 years ago. Yup, I'm a loser!

r said...

so creative...love it. See you in June!!

Sonja said...

You are a talent! See ya in June! It will be such fun!

Sonja said...

I stopped by to present 'One Lovely Blog Award'. You can stop by and see your name there and to read the rules and copy your picture.
Sonja http://treeclimbingwithsonja.blogspot.com
Nice blog!