Wednesday, May 18, 2011

old vs. new

For mother's day my wonderful husband turned my old sewing machine

into this....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I'll tell ya, he has magical powers.

I wasn't sold on it at first, especially when the Knittn Kitten lady told me that old singers used to be top of the line and not so much now that they moved over to China. She told me to get my old one fixed if I could, but we've already gone that route. And it's not worth it.

I spent a whole day going around like a mad woman going to all sorts of sewing machine shops to see if I could find anything else. Scarlett was a trooper.

First stop (after Knittn Kitten): Montavilla. These people sucked. The guy tried to sell me an $800 machine right off the bat. I pointed to one in my price range and he said, "Oh no no no that one is much too basic. How about this one?" as he lead me to a $400 machine. Then, as I left he started talking to Scarlett.

Montavilla Monster: What are you going to be when you grow up? Huh, baby?
Scarlett: ..............
MM: What are you going to be?
Scarlett: ................
MM to me: So what is she going to be?
Me: Umm. What?
MM: What are you going to have her be when she grows up?
Me: Uhhh....whatever she wants?
MM: Really?!?!
Me: Yeeeah......byyye....

Second Stop: Amazon, Costco, etc. I spent most of Scarlett's nap researching all sorts of sewing machines online.

Third Stop: Save Stores. These people rocked. I was considering a Brother cs6000 and the guy showed me the inside of it, and how it was built--it was a no go. I'm so glad I went there. Then, I fell in love with this brother.

It was only $300 out of budget. But I got to thinking and my machine did all the same things and then some, just without the bells and whistles (like a cool turny knob, a needle down button, and never having to bring up the bobbin thread--it does it on it's own). Pretty cool stuff, but not worth the extra dough.

Every store I went to I thought I would find something better, but instead I fell more and more in love with what I had. The more I sew with it the better it gets. It's been 2 weeks since I opened the box, and I am still super excited! 

I'm looking into getting a rolled hem foot, a ruffler foot, and a darning foot. These would make awesome birthday gifts! :) Hint hint!

Speaking of feet. I think I need to find Scarlett's.


3 comments:

r said...

CONGRATS ON THE NEW MACHINE, I'M EXCITED TO SEE THE FIRST CREATIONS TO BE MADE WITH IT. THE SINGER I GOT FROM GRANDMA'S HAS A WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENT FEET ATTACHMENTS TOO (HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY WORK...ANYONE GOT A 1930-ISH SINGER HANDBOOK) BTW...THIS IS A TOTALLY ECO FRIENDLY MACHINE AS IT IS TOTALLY FOOT POWERED.





0

LAYTON FAMILY said...

Julie, what is the model number of your new singer? mine has finally called it quits and I'm in the market for something new.

Julie said...

It's a Singer brilliance. 6600? maybe. I actually need to update this. I ended up returning it because the zigzag stitch stopped working. I looked it up and it seems to be a common problem.

I now have a Brother 7700 (110 stitch function). They sell it at costco for $175 and was lucky enough to get a brand new one on craigslist for $140. I've only had it a week and I LOVE it. It doesn't have a metal frame like the singer and seems to be a little smaller, but the stitch quality is better and it's much more quiet. It was totally worth the price.