Friday, July 25, 2008

Long Time...

It sure has been awhile since an update! Not much is going on though. Michael goes to work in the morning, I go for a run and then do whatever I want! It's quite nice not having a job. I get to sew and cook and do all the things I like to do (that Michael doesn't).

Sorry I never finished our Hawaii saga, but in a nutshell it was wonderful if you forget about the part when our rental car got stolen. Yes, our rental car was stolen. We buried the keys in our bag, put the bag under a towel and it was all in a mini rock cave. We went snorkeling for a few minutes, came back...

Michael--I thought you put a towel over the bag? (Towel was missing)

Me--I did. Did you take the camera out? (It was lying on the other towel next to a fatty footprint)

Michael--Oooh, the bag is open! THE KEYS ARE GONE....AND MY WALLET!

Michael rushed up to where our car was parked. It was gone, but they left his wallet (cash gone, but at least he had an ID) and the towel. After making a police report, we call the rental car company (I won't name any names, but I wouldn't rent from coughDOLLARcough ever again). They wouldn't let us rent another car because the key was stolen. They claimed it would be considered negligence on our part because the keys were out of our possession. Oh, and in that case we would be liable for the complete amount of the car (roughly $30,000). This vacation kept getting more and more expensive. All I have to say about that is that it is not very smart to only have keys that are attached to a computerized remote (that if it gets wet the car will not start) on an island where everyone goes there to go to the beach.

So, our car being stolen, we were stuck on the north shore (complete opposite end of the island as our hotel and the rental car place). I got a little frustrated with the rental care lady on the phone while Michael was canceling all his credit cards--we didn't know if they would've copied the numbers down. She wanted us to come fill out a report with Dollar and then they "would be happy to assist you from their airport location to your hotel". WHAT GOOD DOES THAT DO WHEN WE ARE 50 MILES AWAY FROM YOUR AIRPORT LOCATION WITH NO CASH OR MONEY! "I am very sorry ma'am for the inconvenience." Inconvenience? An inconvenience would be losing your car in the parking lot, not having someone else take it! Ugh.

Michael had to talk it over with them--he has better people skills in tense situations such as this. We finally got them to pick us up. I am getting depressed by this story--but all in all I found the car sitting on the side of the road! Yay! On the sad side, right next to our ditched car, another couple was stranded because their car had just been stolen!

We didn't get a car for the remaining 2 days although it was all prepaid, but we rode some buses and went to Pearl Harbor again! There was just too much to do there that we had to go back.

Ah! That's a lot to read! I will post some pictures of our last 2 days soon!

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe what happened to you guys! So even though you found the car, they wouldn't let you have it for the rest of the time? And if you hadn't found it, they would have made you pay for it? What a way to throw a big ol kink into a dream vacation like that. Wow. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your time, all things considered!

Ashley said...

that is so crazy!!! do you have to pay them anything even though you found the car??? wow the rest sounds like fun though!

Little Megs said...

whoah, you never told me about that, crazy. My cousin had his window broken and everything stolen out of his car while he was in Hawaii. Ugh. Anyway, I'm excited to hang out wit you guys on Tuesday!

Jordan & Heather Wong said...

o my goodness! that is some crazy story!! i cannot believe that that happened to you guys! I am so sorry!! Wow what a vacation!! haha at least you were there right! Ah thats so scary!!

Marianne said...

These are hillarious stories. Of course, I heard the stolen car one while we were in Utah, but I just laughed forever when I read about the wal-mart woman. So stinking funny!!!