Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Good Start to a Nice Break

Hooray for finals being over! Michael has a break for the next two weeks, and then back to school all over again. One more quarter and we'll have survived our first year at WSCC!

Dave, a friend/classmate/neighbor, invited us to go surfing yesterday. I was going to just sit on the beach and watch and tan, but the guy at the surf shop totally talked me into getting a wet suit and a board.

The day started out all rainy, but turned into this...
nice and sunny.

Ah, the wetsuit. (Sorry that's Dave's butt in that picture.) I think half the workout of going surfing is getting the wet suit on and off. It had booties and gloves...and those were ridiculous. What was even more ridiculous was the bonnet--not getting it on and off, but the way it looked. After the first time out I ditched the dumb thing. I'd rather have cold ears than look retarded.

The wetsuit was worth the trouble though. North shores aren't the warmest. I saw one guy go in with just trunks on, and all I could think of was George from Seinfeld saying, "I was in the pool!"

Out of the five pictures we took, I didn't make a good face in a single one of them...nice.
Michael even stood up a few times and rode the waves for quite awhile. I wasn't as coordinated, but I also had a smaller/less stable board. Not to mention that the big waves made me wet my wetsuit. The waves were pretty big at one point in the day. Michael didn't even get cold, which was a miracle! Mr. 4% body fat can't even be in the shores of Hawaii without getting cold, and it definitely wasn't warm out there!
Considering how sore my arms and neck are, I don't think I'll take up surfing any time soon, but I definitely had fun!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow...something I've never tried, but have wanted to, even though I'm sure I'd get worked too! Good for you!

Jordan & Heather Wong said...

o that looks so fun!! i would love to live close to a beach! i bet u guys love it! hope to see u soon sometime

Ashlyn said...

How fun! Yay! I am glad I found your blog! How are you guys?