Saturday, July 10, 2010

sweetums


How can you not love her?

Scarlett seriously grows overnight. I wake up in the morning to find bigger feet, bigger hands, and poopier diapers--on Scarlett that is; I stopped using diapers...yesterday. Kidding aside, she is our angel baby. She started sleeping through the night at a "young age", was a good eater to begin with (otherwise I might have given up on the whole nursing thing), and is a very mellow/happy baby. God must have known Scarlett would be an only child if she was a difficult child...

I thought being a parent would be more of a burden, but instead I know this is where I am supposed to be. Very cliche to say but true. I've only felt that at one other time in my life--when I decided to go to BYU. (Wow, if I said that to myself 6 years ago I would have punched my conversewearingseminaryditchingthoughtIwassupercool self in the face.) Actually, it wasn't until I moved to Provo that I felt that way. I kicked and screamed all the way there. Just ask my parents.

Towards the end, I had many teachers there that asked me what I was going to do since I wasn't going through the BFA program like all my classmates (got my BA instead and graduated a little sooner so we could come to Portland). I always hesitated to answer that I was going to be a mom. I obviously wasn't pregnant at the time. I got some weird looks, disappointed looks, and outright you're-wasting-your-talent looks.

I wouldn't trade back my stretched out belly, my clothes and bed that have been pooped on (again, not by me), my once clean and organized house, the several hours a day that are now spent feeding, or my BA that never got put to the test in a "real" job. It's amazing how something so little changes your life forever. I take one look at Scarlett and know that I never wasted anything.


Happy 3 months, Little.


*posted 7-12-2010 10:26 AM
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Very well said! Being a mom is the most important and amazing thing any woman could do.

Francesca said...

Awwww, very sweet. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way (about BYU too--I swore I never would go there and it ended being the only school I applied to).

the Dunkleys said...

So sweet, but so true! All you have to do is look at your sleeping baby and know it's right. Your little baby is so cute! I was looking at her pictures, and then thinking about Niko and it makes me feel like those baby days were SO long ago!! It'll go by fast, I know everyone says that haha, but it's true!!

Kinsey and Dustin said...

Cute post! Scarlett sounds like a dream. Maybe she could teach Ronin how to sleep through the night!

Ps- I would have loved to have met the conversewearingseminaryditchingthoughtIwassupercoolJulie!

Crystal said...

All I have to say is AMEN! I just said to Nola today "I love being your mommy". Best thing ever. Even a better than being a wife. Don't tell Devin I said that.