2 1/2 C flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 C vegetable shortening
8-10 T ICE COLD water
Directions: Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pebble-like. Pour 6 T of water in and "fluff"/toss lightly with a fork. Add 1 T at a time, pressing to the side of the bowl until the dough is moist--once it sticks together and there's no little pieces at the bottom of the bowl, it's perfect. Gently gather dough and split into 2 lightly flattened balls. Try not to handle the dough a lot--you want to keep it cold...this is what makes it all layer-y and nice. If it gets too warm for any reason pop it in the fridge for a while. Roll out to size of pan and use for whatever. Bake according to individual recipes. Mine was at 425 degrees for 35 minutes--use a foil collar and take it off for the last 10 minutes so the edges don't burn.
Tip #1 Measure out your shortening. **Line your measuring cup with plastic wrap--it doesn't stick to the wrap and EASY clean-up.** Then, put it in the FREEZER for about 10-20 minutes. Don't freeze it completely, but you want it to be really cold.
Tip#2 Measure out flour. Don't pack it in the measuring cup! Loosen up the flour by stirring it up because it tends to settle. Spoon it into cup and level off. I store my flour in a 5 gallon bucket and it has a wooden spoon dedicated to it. Much easier for measuring than from a bag, just my personal preference. If you pack it you will end up with 1/2-1 cup extra!
Tip #3 Don't just use cold water out of the tap...actually add ice cubes. I just fill a cup with cold water, add ice cubes, then measure T from that.
Tip #4 You don't really need to bake this right away if you don't want to. Some days you have time in the morning to make stuff, but you want it hot for dinner. So, just go ahead and make it, cover it, and put it in your fridge until you're ready to bake it. Warning: the apples will release more juice the longer they sit...so be careful taking it out of your fridge--I have spilled apple filling juice on the floor practically every time I pre-make it.
5 comments:
So jealous. As simple as it seems, I could not make that to save my life!
I just tried to make a crust yesterday, and everytime I do, I just about scream and throw things. I hate making crusts and they never turn out! And I was just wishing that I could find a good tutorial. I'm going to try these tips. What I really need is video, though . . . Good job on your winnings!
Oh, yeah simple enough...ha ha!
Wow, that picture really does look like an award winning pie. I'm impressed Julie!
Ok, I guess I'm the one that has to say it...
The perfection of your pie creation is ridiculous. It's just too freakin' perfect. In fact, it flies in the face of hard-working, average-pie-making Americans everywhere. I hope you enjoyed your little dessert adventure, Julie, while destroying the pie-making self-esteem of millions.
=P
Post a Comment