I have a Portland bucket list that needs to be completed no later than September (knock on wood). Voodoo Doughnuts just so happens to be on that list. (Other completed list items can be seen HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.)
If you ever visit Portland, the go to place is Voodoo Doughnuts--or so we hear. They have crazy doughnuts like the Bacon Maple Bar, the Voodoo Doll (complete with pretzel stake, no less), and tons topped with cereal and even tang.
We made our venture downtown on Saturday to make a HUGE check on our list.
We drove to the Lloyd Center and rode the MAX into downtown (instead if paying for parking). Here is Scarlett, the perfect exemplar, of how to wait for the MAX in style.
When we got to Voodoo Doughtnuts there was a HUGE line. We decided to wait. I mean if there's a huge line, it's got to be hugely good, right? So wait we did.
Some little girl "sprinkled" some of her precious Voodoo Doughnut in the alley where we were waiting. It was tempting to everyone, but the only one brave enough to step up was this pigeon.
We all drooled in jealousy.
Still stylin' 15 minutes in.
45 minutes in. We almost made it to the corner. You can just see the enthusiasm just bursting from Michael's pores. He's not one to live to eat. He's definitely a "eat to live"-er.
15 minutes to downtown + 15 minutes on the MAX + 45 minutes in line (and only 1/3 of the way there) and we decide to leave. WE DECIDE TO LEAVE! I felt like we had invested so much that we couldn't give up yet. But.
Oh, yes. There's a but.
But now we have Scarlett. And Scarlett was cold. And Scarlett already had a cold.
So, in order to remain in the running for parents on the year, we decided it was best that we not freeze out our baby just for the sake of the best doughnuts ever and being able to put a HUGE red line through list item #8.
We sadly got out of line, bid our fellow Voodoo line members adieu (the lady in front of us even offered to drop some off at our house--we found out we're town neighbors), and avoided stepping in bum spit on our way back to the MAX. Michael met an interesting man on the ride back to our car. He told Michael his whole life story in 3 minutes, admired Scarlett, and gave us this bear out of the garbage sack he was carrying.
It's was really sweet...but that bear was really disgusting. Michael and I still wonder if he was wanting money for it, but he gave it to us just as the doors opened to step off. Oh well.
No doughnuts this round, but we didn't go home empty handed!
P.S. I was wanting a stinking doughnut so bad by the time I got home I tried to make some. Cake donuts are disgusting.
6 comments:
Daniel suggested going to the other location. We haven't been there either so we should do it together!! Maybe when it is a bit warmer!!
Nice bear. Why oh why didn't you like it? Gross! I love Michael's face in that picture. Jake makes similar faces when I drag him to things. The more kids you have, the less cool stuff you do, sadly :(. Oh, and you made me really in the mood for a doughnut! There's a place in SLC that has those kind of weird doughnuts too...bacon??? Not sure if I'd ever try that!
Mmm.... voodoo!!! We LOVE 'em! They are worth some of a wait....but not outside in the cold, with your tiny. Voodoo too is right close to the Lloyd center, it's tons bigger, it doesn't get so busy, but if there is a line at least you're inside. PS- go on a week day morning or afternoon, and then there won't be a line, or maybe just a few people. We went there on Monday- it was a zoo, so we left. Eden cried. So if you ever need someone to go with (and I do mean ever) Eden's your girl- the pink donut store is our favorite!
Lucky pigeon! I saw that donut place featured on Food Network... mmm. (This is me drooling.) I hope you get to try it some time. BTW: Your little Scarlett is so beautiful!
Ask mom for a homemade donut recipe...we used to make them when you were little.
We almost did it the couple times we visited downtown Powells, but voodoo must just be one of those elusive places that only the truly dedicated get to visit. Like Everest. The Everest of Portland...
Okay, not quite that exciting. I'll go with you to the Loyd one Kinsey was talking about any day. Matt and I are planning to combine voodoo with our Saturday Market/ MAX ride goal this summer. Three for One Portland Bucket List Day! Whoohoo!
Post a Comment